Makeup remover doesn’t have to be expensive or come with a label. In fact, I actually prefer this gentle version that you can make at home on the cheap. It’s non-irritating, easy to make, inexpensive and highly effective. I recently uploaded a video on how to make this perfect makeup remover, but here is a step-by-step guide to have on hand when you try it out for yourself :)
All you need to create your very own makeup remover is:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Aloe Vera Water (most drugstores, heath or grocery stores will carry aloe vera water. If you can’t find it, though, filtered water will work just fine!)
- A re-sealable bottle (you’ll need to shake up your mixture in this)
- A few gentle cotton pads (for application)
A few Beauty School notes before we begin:
- Aloe Vera water comes from the Aloe Vera plant, which is used in herbal medicine for its soothing abilities. It is a cooling agent that helps calm the skin and it contains a plethora of amino acids and vitamins. Since it’s made up of 95% water, you can be sure that it is extraordinarily hydrating and refreshing for your face.
- Do not be afraid of the olive oil! If the idea of putting olive oil on your face has you uneasy, relax; extra virgin olive oil actually closely resembles your skin’s natural oil production, which means that it won’t clog your pores or dry your skin out, but rather will keep it extra soft and clear it of any impurities.
* * *
A Step-by-Step Guide to DIY Makeup Remover
STEP 1: Pour less than ½ cup of EVOO into a bottle of aloe vera water (make sure the container has a sealable cap for Step 2 to work). A little goes a long way with EVOO because it’s highly potent, so you’ll only need a small amount.
STEP 2: You’ll notice that the oil will float above the water. This is because oil is hydrophobic, which literally means “water-fearing.” So before applying, you’ll need to really shake the mixture up and use it right away before the oil and water separate again.
STEP 3: After thoroughly shaking the mixture, soak one of your cotton pads with it and gently press it over one of your eyes.
Keep it here for a few seconds while it works to break down all the makeup, and then gently sweep it away from your eye towards your ear.
You should notice your makeup is dissolving and coming off with ease.
STEP 4: Repeat Step 3 until your eyes are completely clean, and then continue the same process all over your face.
This mixture should not even feel super greasy to begin with, so remember; don’t be afraid of putting the oil on your skin. The aloe vera water will refresh and cool your skin while the oil breaks down the pigments in your makeup – a perfect combination!
This makeup remover is incredibly light and clean, yet powerful enough to remove any stubborn waterproof makeup. This would also be a great formula to try if you have any allergies or sensitivities to chemicals, or just sensitive skin in general. Good luck and I hope you find success with this perfect makeup remover!
What DIYs would you like to see next? Let me know in the comments below.
Warning: file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]: Couldn't resolve host name in /home/miche056/public_html/content/themes/michellephan2014/functions/sharecounts.php on line 22
Warning: file_get_contents(http://urls.api.twitter.com/1/urls/count.json?url=http://www.michellephan.com/diy-makeup-remover/) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/miche056/public_html/content/themes/michellephan2014/functions/sharecounts.php on line 22